Voice and Opera Intensive
The Voice and Opera Intensive is a highly-selective program for high school students who are seeking to pursue vocal performance or opera studies at the collegiate level. Students will work side-by-side with BW Conservatory of Music voice and opera faculty as well as world-renowned guest artists to prepare for college or conservatory auditions and to develop their total body instrument.
Spend a week discovering vocal performance at BW and develop your artistry alongside colleagues from across the United States!
Soprano Jennifer Rowley is acclaimed worldwide for her unforgettable voice and remarkable stage presence, singing a richly varied repertoire that includes Verdi and Puccini’s greatest heroines and thrilling bel canto roles. In the 2018/19 season, Ms. Rowley returns to The Metropolitan Opera for the title roles in Puccini’s 'Tosca' and her debut as Cilea’s 'Adriana Lecouvreur', with several additional engagements to follow at The Met through 2020.
Learn more about Jennifer Rowley.
Participants receive daily intensive training in voice, acting, movement, interpretation, audition techniques and professional development, including:
- Two one-hour voice lessons with Conservatory voice faculty to develop your vocal technique
- Three ninety-minute studio classes led by Conservatory faculty. You'll work on your repertoire and voice technique in group master class settings with your fellow participants.
- Daily one-hour movement class with Conservatory theatre and dance faculty
- Daily two-hour voice performance workshop with a focus on acting technique and exercises,physical characterization, monologue work, and improvised and scripted scene work.
- Daily two-hour song and aria coaching and interpretation workshops. You'll learn how to communicate with dynamic physical and vocal actions on stage, and how to maximize your audition potential.
Application and Audition
In order to be considered, applicants must submit:
- Completed online application
- Recorded video audition (completed within the online application)
- A $150 refundable deposit (mailed to BW or paid over the phone via credit card)
Auditions are required for all voice and opera intensive applicants. The audition should include one aria or art song in English and one aria or art song in French, German or Italian. Both selections must be accompanied and should be complete with preceding recitatives when appropriate. Long introductions or postludes may be abbreviated.
Video auditions should include the entire body. Videos from shows will not be accepted.
Audition pieces must be uploaded to YouTube. You may choose to make your video "public" or "unlisted" (private videos cannot be viewed). Once uploaded, provide the link to your audition within the application. If you choose to create two videos (one for each audition piece), provide both links within the application. DVD and CD audition videos mailed to our office will NOT be accepted. Due to the selection process, all videos must be uploaded to YouTube.
A deposit of $150 via check must be mailed and received before the audition is reviewed. Checks should be made out to Baldwin Wallace University. Deposits are only refunded if the applicant is not selected. Once a participant is selected, the deposit will be applied directly to the tuition.
Please mail your check to:
Voice and Opera Intensive
Conservatory of Music – Community Arts School
Baldwin Wallace University
275 Eastland Road
Berea, OH 44017
If you have questions, please contact us.
Tuition, room and board – $1,350.00
Tuition includes all curricular and extra-curricular events. A $150 refundable tuition deposit is required and will be applied toward tuition if admitted. Students not admitted into the voice and opera intensive will be refunded this deposit. Students must register with full payment due no later than June 1, 2019. Payment plan options will be made available.
Students will be housed in the newly renovated and air-conditioned Davidson Commons. The Commons are located within close proximity to the Conservatory. Participants will live in suite-style housing which includes units with two-person bedrooms, a shared bathroom and small common area.